MHCN are excited to announce that entries for the Young Carer Art Competition 2021 are now open!
The Young Carer Art Competition is an exciting opportunity for young carers to get creative with the theme ‘Tune In!’, which is this October Mental Health Months theme this year, and submit an artwork that you have created that best matches the theme ‘Tune In’ to go into the draw to win some cool prizes!
Why should you enter?
- There are some cool prizes up for grabs!
- 1st prize – $250 gift card
- 2nd prize – $175 gift
- 3rd prize – $100 gift card
- Winners and participants will have their artwork featured on MHCN’s website! (if you give us your permission).
What is a young carer? How do I know if I am one?
A young carer is someone who helps support a loved one such as a parent, sibling, grandparent, partner, or friend who experiences a mental illness.
Some things you might do to help take care of your loved one might include helping to cook meals, clean the house, take care of your siblings, provide emotional support to your loved one, or help with physical tasks such as bathing and feeding, for example.
You might not identify with the term young carer and might find it hard to know if you are one.
You don’t have to be a paid carer, be the main person caring for your loved one, live with, or receive carer payments from Centrelink, to be considered a young carer!
Aren’t sure if you are or have been a young carer? That’s okay, feel free to contact Laura at MHCN to have a chat, on email@example.com or 02 9332 0777.
Terms and Conditions of Competition
- Entrants must be aged 25 years old or younger.
- Entrants must reside in NSW, Australia.
- There can only be 1 entry per person.
- If you are interested in submitting an entry, first fill out an Interest Form (see the form below) and send it to Laura at firstname.lastname@example.org
- When you’re ready to submit your artwork, send yoru artwork to Laura with an official entry form (see the form below).
- You must submit an entry form with your entry (so we know who you are!)
- Submissions of artworks must either be a word document, PDF, or video file or photo/image received via email.
- Entries cannot be sent via mail/received in person due to COVID19.
- Entries are due by 5.00pm Wednesday 20th October 2021.
- Late entries will not be accepted.
- A panel of 3 – 5 young carers will be judging the entries with MHCN, and awarding the winners.
- Entries will be judged Thursday 21st October – Thursday 28th October by the judging panel. Winners will be contacted by MHCN via email and/or phone number provided on the entry forms.
- Winners will be sent their prize within 10 business days of being confirmed as a winner.
- Prizes will be sent via email. Prizes cannot be exchanged for money or other prizes.
Types of entries you can submit:
Note: Films and dance must not be longer than 5 minutes. Stories, poems, and songs must be no longer than 2 pages (A4).
If you feel like we have not covered something and you want to submit it– reach out to Laura at MHCN with your idea – at email@example.com
If you have any other questions about the competition, reach out to Laura at MHCN.
Aren’t interested in submitting an entry, but interested in being a panellist? No worries – click here to read more about how you can apply to be a panellist! https://www.mentalhealthcarersnsw.org/young-carer-art-competition-seeking-young-carer-panellists/
This competition is with thanks to WayAhead, who have provided grants to organisations to run events and projects during Mental Health Month celebrating the theme ‘Tune In’!
You can read more about ‘Tune In’ and Mental Health Month here! https://mentalhealthmonth.wayahead.org.au/tune-in/