Date & Time
As carers, family members, and friends of persons living with differing degrees of mental health issues, it is important to know that you are not alone and have access to supports which can help you ease the burden of your caring journey and be a better advocate for yourself and others.
The NSW Mental Health System offers many supports to assist you, however the system is complex and broad and at times it can be overwhelming to know where to start. At MHCN we want you to be on the best possible footing in order to utilise the aids available to you and apply them to your personal caring experience. This course aims to equip you with basic knowledge so that you feel empowered and confident to navigate the NSW Mental Health System and do just that.
By the end of this course, you will gain an understanding of the concepts, prevalence and principles of mental health and be aware of how to seek basic mental health care. Have the knowledge of the steps of how to respond to escalating mental illness situations and know your rights in mental health settings, relevant acts and how to make a complaint.
About the Trainer, Anne Stedman
Carer peer trainer, Anne Stedman, brings her passion, knowledge and lived experience of mental health caring to developing and delivering training workshops for MHCN. She has a BA and a Masters in International Communication, TAFE Training qualifications for Certificate IV Mental Health and Alcohol and Other Drugs, and Diploma Mental Health as well as has extensive volunteering experience and a keen interest in community development and empowerment.
- The training is FREE – so don’t miss out on booking your spot.
- Flexible attendance options – we offer either in person sessions or online sessions on ZOOM, so that you can learn from a place convenient for you.
- Our training is delivered by a carer peer trainer who is empathetic and understanding and offers you the opportunity to meet and connect with other carers.
- At the end of your session, you will receive a free Learner Toolkit. This is a invaluable resource which contains information on what you learnt in the training as well as relevant contacts and forms which you may require during times of crisis or when seeking support.
- MHCN is the peak body for Mental Health Carers in NSW, giving you access to a wealth of insider knowledge and experience gained over many years. This training gives you the opportunity to connect with us and learn more about the work we are doing.
- You can provide feedback about the training. Tells us what you would like to learn more about, how we helped or where we could improve
For further information on this course and other courses held by MHCN, please visit our website at https://www.mentalhealthcarersnsw.org/learn/training-and-education/
Wednesday, 16 August 2023
12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
This is an in person event held at Mental Health Carers NSW head office:
Suite 2.02, Building C, 33 Saunders St, Pyrmont NSW 2009
Please note that when you successfully register for this in person course, Trybooking will automatically send you:
- A confirmation email with a receipt and the in person session information
- An automated email again with the in person session information, pre-evaluation link and other information.
Please save these emails, so you have easy access to all the necessary information. If you do not receive these emails in your main email inbox, please check your junk folder. If you are sure you have not received these emails, please contact us via email, firstname.lastname@example.org